Wednesday, July 05, 2006

My First Blog Entry

Ok, I'm finally trying this blog thing out. Yay me. I've been reluctant to start a blog because I don't feel like I really have anything worth talking about. Time will tell.

I guess I should take a moment to explain my blog name, mi-blogita. I guess is kind of "spanglish" (a cross between english and spanish) for "my little blog."

mi = my in spanish.

blog doesn't have a spanish translation that I am aware of, so I just used the english word blog.

the "ito" or "ita" suffix is what makes it little or small. i.e. gordo/gorda means fat boy/girl, so gordito is "little fat boy" and gordita is "little fat girl". pescado is fish. pescadito is little fish. Extrapolating that, I made up the word blogita to mean little blog.



And, I'm out.

5 comments:

Gayle said...

Very funny, Beccita ;)

Kaci said...

Funny you mentioned "gordita" that actually is an affectionate term in Spanish....it DEFINITELY doesn't translate the same way in English! I'm not sure we think of this as endearing: "oh my little fat girl... ; ) "

Kaci

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogsphere :-)

-Joe

Gayle said...

Funny that I've been to Spanish-speaking countries 3 times in my life and I never actually knew "gordita" was a term of endearment! Ya learn something new every day. I remember my friend in Bolivia calling her mom that, and I thought it was kinda mean. I guess it makes more sense now. The funniest was when some little kids that were trick-or-treating in Mexico were calling this skinny guy that was with us "gordita", which we thought was funny for two reasons: A) he was not at all fat and B) I think you'd call a guy gorditO, the masculine ending. Instead they called him gorditA with a feminine ending. (Well, unless I'm wrong about that too. Maybe there is no "ito" just "ita") *shrug*

I don't know. :P

Unknown said...

I still think anything that I feel stupid saying, such as "blog", is a bad technical term. Hopefully, the Splanglish speakers have come up with a better term for blog!