Thursday, October 19, 2006

Procrastination

So, there's this guy who's basically the tech lead on my project. I've realized that a lot of times when I ask him how to do something, he has this tendency (which bugs me) to say "we'll worry about that later."

I can procrastinate with the best of them. But I also know that if we wait until later, we'll either forget about it completely, or just forget why it wasn't done in the first place.

So today he comes over to my cubicle and says that he got past some of the errors in our project, to find out that now it's failing because my code is not sending the total amount. Now I asked him weeks ago how to calculate the total amount. I was looking at some other code that is pretty similar to what I'm doing, but it calculates its total using values that we don't have in our database. "So how do I calculate it?" I asked. "Just put in a default value for now and we'll worry about it later." But today, I am the idiot for not calculating the total, but instead sending a blank value. So I kindly reminded him that I has asked him about this weeks ago, (nevermind that I put a comment in the code that said "we need to figure out how to calculate this amount"), and that he told me to worry about it later, and well I guess now IS "later". I reminded him that the program that I was looking at calculated it a different way (although today I don't remember what that way was. If we had handled this a few weeks ago, I would have known a lot more of those details off the top of my head. But now, I dont' remember, that was a few weeks ago). Ok, he says, he'll figure out how to do that calculation and get back to me.

Great. Thanks. You do that, now that we're down to the wire and may not get done in time for the next release.

No comments: