Thursday, March 20, 2008

Luck O' The Irish 5K

I ran my first 5k race on March 16th, 2008. The course was scenic, but also hilly so I had to slow down and walk several times. Even though I had to walk several times, thanks to my training I never walked more than a couple of minutes at a time, and each time I had it in me to start up and run some more after walking. Overall I think I ran more than half of the race even if not consecutively.

I was hoping to finish the race in under 40 minutes. But I ended up finishing in 40:56, with an average pace of 13:12. It was a little cold outside (mid-30's Fahrenheit) so I had more trouble catching my breath than usual, and as I mentioned it was also hilly - so despite all that I think it's good that I came as close as I did to my goal.

I came in 175/211 overall
I came in 81/108 in the female group
I came in 14/16 in my age group

And now I have a more specific time to beat next time I run a race!

2 comments:

Kaci said...

Great job on finishing your first 5K! Yay!! You forgot to mention that you were sick, not once but twice, during your training too! I'd be up for a 5K or two.

Gayle said...

Thanks Kaci! Good point, Bronchitis followed by the Flu a week later definitely didn't help speed along the training regimen :) You should definitely join us for the next race!