Thursday, August 10, 2006

Dumb Web Page Functionality

My company, Cardinal Solutions, is having a company event at Scioto Downs tonight. I've never been there before but I think it should be fun. They sent an address for the place. I'll be going staight from my dentist's office, so I wanted to see google map's recommendation for how to get there from the dentist. But for whatever reason, the Scioto Downs address that was sent out was not found on google maps.

So I went straight to Scioto Down's website. They had some vague directions on there that basically said "Scioto Downs is located two miles south of Route 270 on Route 23 South (High Street)."

I was wanting something a little more specific than that!

Then it says "Or, use MapQuest for custom directions. You can complete and submit the form below to generate a map of your choosing on the MapQuest site."

So it has a place to type in an address, and click "Get Map". So I typed in the address of my dentist, thinking this was going to give me to/from directions between my dentist and Scioto Downs. But, it gave me a map OF my dentist's office. I already know where that is! And if I didn't, I wouldn't be going to the Scioto Down's webpage to find it!

But it says I would get "a map of [my] choosing" so I guess that was right.

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on a web page.

3 comments:

Gayle said...

Oh right... the tiny little "contact us" link at the bottom of the page. Of course! Ha ha.

However, the address on the "contact us" page is the address that is not found by Google Maps!

Google maps says:
"did you mean: 6170 S High St, Lockbourne, OH 43137"

Nor is it found by Mapquest, actually. So even if you knew Scioto Downs' address and used their custom map thingy, you still wouldn't get anything useful!

Let that be a lesson to all of us web developers.

Unknown said...

Webtarded!

ivy krysty said...

Hi i am smith from fieldengineers.com with increase in demand for digital utilization one need direct access to flexible tachnical talent to get ahead of demand we from fieldengineers.com provide intresting career building jobs and lucrative opportunities.

Read more : wireless router firewall